Everyone can give and everyone has something to give. Most giving is done through money, but not all giving is money related.
Here are some simple truths about giving:
- God has a generous spirit, Psalm 51:12.
- We are made in God’s image, Genesis 1:27.
- Everything made by God gives, reproduces and multiplies, Genesis 1:11-31.
- Giving is a heart issue first, not a money issue. Jesus said, “Where your heart is that where your treasure lies,” Matthew 6:21, 12:42.
- Giving opens a present door that leads to a future blessing. The Bible states, “Give and it will be given back to you,” Luke 6:38
- Giving keeps selfishness out of the heart. “A generous heart that refreshes others will be refreshed,” Proverbs 11:24-25.
- “Give and it will be given back, compressed and multiplied”, Give cheerfully, Luke 6:38, 2 Corinthians 9:5-11.
- Christ-followers are to excel in the favor of giving, 2 Corinthians 8:7.
WHAT ABOUT TITHING?
- Tithing is giving God 10%, Genesis 14:20, 2 Chronicles 31:5-6.
- Tithing began as a faith act in response to God’s blessings, Genesis 14:20.
- Jesus taught that tithing should be observed while not neglecting compassion and mercy, Matthew 23:23, Luke 11:42.
- When I tithe, I am tithing to Jesus and He speaks blessings over me, Hebrews 7:6-7.
- The purpose of tithing is to release God’s blessings upon my life, God’s church and the world, Malachi 2:8-12, Luke 11:42, 2 Corinthians 8:1-5, 9:5-15.
WHAT ABOUT OFFERINGS?
- Seed Offering: A seed offering is giving above the tithe through faith, believing God will meet other specific needs in your life. It’s based on principles shared in Gal 6:7-10, Gen 8:22
- Compassion offerings: referred to as “alms” in the scripture, Acts 10:2; also known as benevolence offerings. 2 Cor 8:1-8
- Missions: Helping deliver and spread the good news of Jesus and His grace to others, Phil 4:15-20
- “Other” offerings: these are received on occasion for special needs, disaster relief, special guests, etc.
Next Step: How To Give or Give Online Now